Thursday, November 13, 2008
Passion: Lost or Found
Its funny as we go through life and grow and learn and develop into these adults that our kid selves probably wouldn't even recognize. You ask most children what they want to be when they grow up and they say things like fireman, vets, ballerinas, and baseball players. Children are so idealistic and pure. Most of those "careers" were things that they loved to do or things that would help others. They have passion and drive and dreams. And so few of them actually become what they might have said at the tenderness of 5 or 6. It puzzles me as I sit here, in a silk robe and heels drinking Guiness in my house by myself. I'm 23 and I'm finishing my undergrad in chemistry, to continue on to med-school. I have a passion and lust for science and the doors it can open for individuals and the entire human race. I want to help people and travel while I do it. I want to feed hungry, clothe naked, heal sick, and spread smiles to whoever might need a little light in their life. Kind of sounds like Jesus. He might have had the right idea. Who knows...I just know the more I think about that life I want the harder I am willing to work for it. I feel like it is one of my purposes in life. But yet, here I am. In this town, and I am so impatient I want to scream out into the air. I have to keep reminding myself that time moves as it should. Any faster and we might miss something important. But damn. Life as an adult in 2008 is a trip all its own. My generation seems slightly misguided. Like maybe some of us missed the whole point already. I want to be one of those that can say, hey I don't have everything figured out but I think I am pointed in the right direction. And maybe that's the point. I like myself enough to keep going. I guess the future will be in its own right, unique. For me, and for you, and that's ok. Because everything is everything, and love is love. May we all find what were so desperately searching for and let euphoric gratitude overcome us. Peace be.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
this is beautiful megan...i wondered about that alot when i was teaching last year. In the preschool there were kids who had already decided what they wanted to be, and who wore the costumes of said professions everyday...what commitment. The fireman was the coolest one...he had everything fireman, a lunchbox, the outfit, a firetruck, and it all went everywhere with him...he's hank and he's the one who's parents owned early girl. for some reason I doubt he'll be a fireman, but i understand his commitment..
I was more like your boy. I always said I wanted to be a toolman. Didn't really know what that would entail, other than tools and a toolbelt and a hardhat, but I was commited. I would take a chair and flip it on its back and drive it around my grandma's house and say it was my tac'tor.
i love you.
Post a Comment